Monday, December 9, 2013

We Made It!

Against the wishes of a  lot of concerned family members - we made the trip home. 

I had to give it a try.

It really was not that bad.  We made it all the way to Ft. Worth before we started seeing anything of concern, and those concerns were minimal.  As you would expect, the bridges and overpasses were the worst. 

Funny, but it was hard to get accurate news about what was happening up here.  I kept hearing terminology that I was unfamiliar with. 

Like...freezing fog or pebble ice. 

These may be common in other parts of the country, but around here, not-so-much.  Once we hit Ft. Worth it became clear what pebble ice meant.  Although, I felt it was grossly understated.  You see, the ice was so thick on the bridges and overpasses that when they came across with the sand and melt products, the results were more like an off-roading adventure.  I was shocked at the use of the word pebble.  It was more like boulders.  The traffic was pretty good to creep across it, but there were remnants of drivers that were not so smart.  These were the vehicles with flat tires that were pulled over to the side of the road promptly following every bridge.  I guess if you hit that stuff with enough speed - you're gonna blow a tire.

Once we made our way through the city, we had to take our turn to head out to the country.  My Full-Timer took this shot once we made it off the highway.



This was affectionately referred to as:  "The Road Less Traveled."

Can I just say, the road less traveled is always the path I want to be on.

It got a little crazier the more we traveled North and West, but we made it no problem.

Can I just make a few observations here?

  • If you don't have to go anywhere - Don't.
  • If you do get out, you should travel with caution and pack provisions.
  • If you are the only one on the road going 5 mph and everyone else is at 40-50 mph...
                YOU ARE THE HAZARD!
  • If you realize you are the hazard, please get off the road.
  • No need to turn the caution lights on - We all know to drive with caution!
  • If you are in the middle of no-where, it is not necessary to stop at every stop.  Slow down and proceed with caution.
Just a few tidbits that I picked up on my drive home. You can take 'em or leave 'em.

No comments:

Post a Comment