Saturday, December 7, 2013

Am I secretly a City Girl?

This is a little disturbing.  What does it mean?  I have always lived in and out of the city, but I always felt my heart was in the country.  I believe that it is still.  It is just that I have been in the city the last couple of days and I have been enjoying it.  I have been chauffeured around.  I have been taken out for dinner and breakfast. I have been cooked for.  I have slept in.  I have not had to encounter any mud.  I have not had to run out to feed *fill-in-the-blank*.  As a matter-of-fact, I don't think my shoes have touched anything except concrete.  I certainly have not put on any coveralls or work boots in the last 48 hours.

Is it wrong?

You know...that I have liked this?

Does this mean that I may not love the country as much as I thought I did?

I doubt it.  

I am already starting to miss it.

If I don't get my work boots on and go stomp through some mud pretty soon - I don't know what may happen.  The Man in Charge has been on duty and every time I talk to him, he has concerns about something.  Either the dog or the horse, or the fact that he is going a little bit stir crazy himself.  It doesn't help that he worries about something, then I worry about it, and I am here, not there.  Which only makes it worse for me because I am an O.C.D. sort-of control freak.  As cold as it's been, I am worried about all of them.

I saw that it got down to five degrees.

That is crazy for our neck-of-the-woods.  I don't worry much about the horses.  They are in an insulated barn with blankets and they can eat hay to stay warm.  Plus, the Man in Charge is probably hauling warm water out there for them to drink.  The chickens are another story.  They have three heat lamps and plenty of feed to keep them warm, but their water may be freezing at those temps.  My big worry would be the bees.  I did a few things different this year, and while all the experts assured me this was the proper thing to do, I don't know.  I could have taken some extra precautions to keep them warmer, but was advised against it.  I should know by now to always go with my gut feeling, but I didn't.

Did you know...

  • Bees huddle together for warmth.
  • The queen is in the center.
  • They rotate to keep each other warm
  • If the huddle is not located over food sources (honey) - they will starve.
Yes!  They can be an inch away from a food source but still starve!

Now. I know that there is nothing that I can do for them now.  It just does not help that I am here.  I know as I type this that it makes zero sense, but I can't help it.  Remember - O.C.D.  In some weird way, if my bees are freezing to death, I just think I should be home.

Does that make me weird?

No comments:

Post a Comment