Thursday, December 26, 2013

Waylaid by drunken carrots!

I do not like hurting. I don't like sore muscles.  I don't like sore joints.  I just don't like to hurt.  Period.  I have been very lucky in my life to have never broken any bones.  I have done stupid things like drive a piece of wood into my hand with a hammer.  That injury was the result of a candy cane attack, and took over a year to completely heal.  I have also whacked myself in the head with a post driver.  I am sure I will forever suffer the consequences of that injury.  For the most part, for me,  it has been sore muscles.  You know, from trying to kill yourself.  I did go through a spell of back pain that radiated down my leg once.  I went to the chiropractor and he informed me that one leg was two inches longer than the other one.  Do you suppose that was due to throwing 50 lb. bags of feed over my left shoulder, over and over?  I had basically compacted one side of my body.  He cracked me pretty good a few times.  Then, good as new.  Even he was surprised at how fast it worked.  He said that was pretty unusual.

As you can see, I have been pretty lucky.  Except for this one thing so far.  This one stupid thing that just won't go away.  My left wrist.  Weird because I am right handed, but I have had an on going battle with my left wrist for the last couple of years.  I lose the ability to grip anything and I have pain that shoots from my ring, middle, and index finger up the back of my hand and wrist, up to my elbow.  At first, I did the traditional thing.  I went to the doctor.  He simply explained it was over use.  Prescribed anti-inflammatory medication that came with some serious warnings.  He also had a compounding pharmacy mix up some cream that I was to use several times a day.  Then, told me to use a brace or wrap when I was working.  The last part was the only part he got right.  You see, he knew I wasn't going to stop working.

I used the cream and took a few of the pills.  I also have a nice collection of braces and wraps.  I have gone through various periods of no pain and serious pain.  Then, I really did something crazy.  I changed my diet.  Like serious changes.  No sugar.  No grains, including corn and rice.  Then, I added a healthy dose of good fat.  You can Google Paleo Diet or Primal Diet, and read more than you ever wanted to regarding this way of eating.  I tended to lean more towards a Primal Diet, but you should check it out yourself.  So, then amazing things started happening.  I lost weight.  My skin started looking fabulous.  I also had a lot less joint pain (knees and hips), and my wrist pain completely went away.  I was shocked.  I went to my doctor for a check-up, and he was shocked.  After asking what I was doing he said,

"Oh yes.  A lot of the foods you have eliminated do create inflammation in the body."

When I asked him why he never mentioned that before, or, I don't know, recommend a diet change?  He said,

"Oh, you know, most people won't let go of their dinner roll."

That is when he just became a drug dealer to me.

As amazing as it was to feel so good, the real truth has come from when I eat bad food.  When I load up on grains and sugar, I can feel it.  My fingers swell and get really fat.  My joints (knees, hips, and hands) start to throb.  I usually take a huge dive in the energy department, and in general just feel really bad.  I am not perfect, so I do indulge in these foods occasionally.  I am still always shocked at how bad they make me feel.  That is why I call them bad foods.  Hopping off the wagon every once in a while is bad enough.  Let me try that for a few days, and there are serious consequences.  It is safe to say that I have hopped on and off quite a bit through this holiday season, and now I am paying for it.

This is so stupid.

Christmas Dinner Menu

  • Beef Tenderloin
  • Garlic Mashed Potatoes
  • Whiskey Glazed Carrots
  • Wedge Salad w/ Tomatoes and Buttermilk dressing
  • Rolls
  • Pumpkin Pie w/ a Gingerbread Cookie Crust

The beef and the salad are the only safe items on this list for me to eat, but it was Christmas Day and I was ready to indulge.  It doesn't help that I also had a cheeseburger the other day.  I over indulged at a Christmas party last Saturday - In a BIG way!  Plus, I had to do quality control on four different kinds of Christmas cookies that we shared with friends.  

There.

My confession.

My name is Candi.

I am addicted to sugar.

Sorry.  

(laughing)

It is just funny every time I write it.

I was destined to be a sugar addict.

Any - who...

Normally we cook these drunken carrots in an iron skillet.  I was making a double batch, so I grabbed a really big iron skillet.  My Full-timer said, "Don't we normally use the dutch oven?"  That is not what the recipe says, so I argued.  Once on the stove, these carrots were swimming in whisky, butter and brown sugar.  Then, I noticed the recipe said to cover and let cook.  There is no lid for this extra large chunk of iron.

Crap.

I tried foil, but once they started making a mess of my stove, my Full-Timer said, "This is why we use the dutch oven."

Ugh!

Can someone please write that on the recipe?

I grabbed the dutch oven.  Then, I grabbed the oven mitt and the super large Iron skillet.  When I picked it up to dump my woozy carrots into the dutch oven, I felt it.  That old familiar pain in my left wrist.  Not horrible, but there.  I proceeded with my day of cooking and then feasting.  Boy, did we feast.  It was delicious. 

I ate a lot of really bad food.  

So, later last night, after watching a movie with the family, I grabbed a blanket and folded it up.  Seems innocent enough, but when I went to put it away, I felt another pain in my wrist.  This time, it radiated from my fingers all the way up to my elbow.  It hurt.  Bad enough that I thought I might get sick.  Nausea is a real signature of pain level for me.  I, of course, did what I always do...I tried to ignore it.  I then grabbed some glasses and headed for the kitchen.  Just the simple act of placing a glass in the sink sent another wave of pain.  This time, I dropped the glass.  I just simply could not hold onto it.

I have spent all morning on-line self-diagnosing myself, and I have a plan of treatment that is totally conflicting with my plans for the rest of the year.  I am going with the PRICE treatment plan for at least a week, and also throwing in some old school methods, and applying some apple cider vinegar wraps.  If at the end of a week I see no progress, I am headed to the doctor.

Stupid.

This is why carrots should not drink whiskey.



P.S.
PRICE treatment plan:

P - protect
R - rest
I - ice
C - compression
E - elevate

P.P.S.
I have done the Whole30 diet challenge, and I mainly stick to meat, fish, eggs, fruit, and vegetables now.  I have started indulging in too much honey, and will have to cut that out for a while.  I tend to start off with a bit here and there, and then before you know it I am having it all the time.  Addict - remember?  Plus, honey stores are running really low.  I also cut out dairy.  I have indulged here and there, but this one is not hard for me to let go of.  




 




No comments:

Post a Comment