Friday, December 20, 2013

Are you ready for Christmas?

I have to say, earlier today, I was sort of surprised at how much stuff I have done.  It doesn't feel right.  You know what I mean?  It kind of has me worried that I must be forgetting something.  Something big.  I keep looking at my list, and as far as I can tell, I only have a few things left.  I have to wrap up my cookie making.  Make some hot cocoa mix.  I need to wrap a few gifts.  Then, go do some grocery shopping on Monday.  I guess that may sound like a lot, but to me it is totally manageable.  Can things really be going that smoothly?

Who am I kidding?

Nothing goes that easy.

You know why?

I went to the chicken barn tonight and found a dead guinea.  I didn't see any marks or bites on the thing.  It sort of appears that the little thing had a heart attack or possibly ran head first into something and broke it's neck.  Weird.  I looked around and quickly spotted the neighbor's cat in a panic.  You see, the cat couldn't get out because I was in the way.  I promptly shut the door behind me and grabbed the broom.  I may, or may not, have beat the crap out of that cat with my broom.  I can say that he made it to the door and was headed for home the last time I saw him.  After catching my breath, I went about filling feeders and gathering eggs, only to turn around and have my heart jump out of my chest.

A skunk.

Hiding in the corner.

Can this be happening?

I don't know how I didn't get sprayed while I may, or may not, have beat the crap out of the neighbor's cat with a broom.  I am certain there were some words spoken rather loudly while that incident was, or wasn't, taking place.  I mean, I seriously dodged a bullet on that one.  After regaining my composure, I locked my chickens and guineas up in the main section of their coop.  I then proceeded to bait and set the trap.  I then placed the trap in the same section as the skunk.  Feeding the rope that I keep tied to the trap outside, and securely attaching it to the latch on the door.

Guess what I get to add to my list of things to do?

I hope things aren't taking a turn here.

No comments:

Post a Comment