Friday, January 11, 2013

Time to slow things down...

I updated you on Tuesday as to my status as a loner.  No problems.  No worries.  Monday and Tuesday went pretty well.  Nothing terribly unusual.  It rained like nobody's business, and that was a very welcome sight.  I almost had an accident, but with reflexes like a cat, I managed to dodge another injury.  You see, I was minding my own business, doing the laundry.  Not usually a high-risk endeavor, when I opened the cabinet above the washer and the door came off in my hand.  As you can imagine, it came right at my head, but I managed to dodge it and only took a minor blow to an ankle.  Good thing considering the whole recent head injury thing.  Just one of those things that make your heart beat a little faster.  Wednesday started off a little slow, but managed to pick up.  It wasn't overly productive, but I managed to get a few things knocked off the old list.  Thursday was the day that it all changed...

You see, the Man in Charge has been overdue for some vacation time.  He doesn't really take large chunks of time all at once.  Instead, a couple days here, a few there.  It works better for his employer, and it works better for us.  We usually manage to tackle a few projects around the house during these times, and this week was to end in the same fashion.  This is partly why I had an aggressive list for the first part of the week.  I knew I needed to clear the schedule at the end of the week for my guy.

The day started out in typical style for myself.  I had to feed and clean up after everyone, plus I had to do a few things out in the garage before we could tackle our first project.  This is where things all went terribly wrong.  I was moving a few things around, and as usual, I was probably doing a lot more than I should attempt on my own.  I still am not completely clear on the exact sequence of events, but I know I was on the way up into the attic.  I had my arms full of boxes to take up and store when something went terribly wrong with the stairs.  They have always seemed a little rickety, but no more than any other set of attic stairs I have ever been on.  The next thing I remember was the Man in Charge standing over me asking me questions like,

"What's my name?"

"Do you know where you are?"

"How many fingers am I holding up?"

I can tell you that the emergency room, this time of year, is not a place you want to go hang out.  I am certain we will both come down with some version of the flu soon.  Due to the fact that I was unconscious for a period of time, they decided to get me in for a cat scan.  I still am not clear what is going on, but they decided to admit me for observation.  The Man in Charge is the one with all the details at this time.  I did manage to convince him to bring me my laptop so that I could at least have a little fun.  This has all been a very long, drawn out, unfortunate accident that never happened.


Sorry, but I don't know what came over me.


  1. I was about to call you to demand why you didn't mention this to me while we were on the phone earlier discussing family matters. Seriously, what is wrong with you. Based on how often you hurt yourself, this could really happen. You shouldn't joke like that.

  2. Take a relax. Just a joke. Lighten up a little...gee.