Friday, March 25, 2011

A Leap of Faith

I am all about lists.

I have lists for my lists.

My problem is that things are not getting scratched off of the list, they are getting added to the list.

In all my lists, and all of the things that I have to accomplish, I stopped what I was doing to do something entirely different. 

We have a small plot of ground.  I use what is available around the house and the barns for my adventures, and the rest of it is used by the horses and the chickens. 

There is a huge problem with this plan. 

The problem is that only about half of this land is actually usable.  What do I mean by this?  The vegetation is not really edible by anything that we have, and we even used to have goats and they wouldn't eat it. 

Does that tell you anything? 

I don't know what it is exactly, but I call it spear grass.  It has these horrible little barb like stickers that get caught in everything and are worthless.  This is what it looks like, pretty much year round.


There is a tiny bit of green vegetation in there, but I am not sure what that is either.  Some weed of some sort.


After many discussions, the Man in Charge and I decided that we had to do something about this, and yesterday was the day.  I laid out my plan, and he said, "Go for it!"


We hired a guy that lives in our town, he is about 70-ish, retired, and has a tractor.  He brought over his tractor, with a 5 foot tiller attachment and he went to work.  It took him 10 hours, and he did it in one day.

Impressive.

At about 3:00 he was considering coming back and finishing today, but I guess he got his second wind because he went ahead and knocked it out.  As I paid him, I asked him if he would do a job this big again, and he said, "Sure, but not tomorrow."

We gave him a few hours head start, and then my trusty helper and I went to work.

She was not a fan of this idea.

So, I drug her, kicking and screaming, and we went anyway.  We hand seeded the entire area.  We wrapped up at about 8:00 last night.  The best that I can explain, it is somewhat like walking on the beach, but without all of the enjoyment of being on the beach.  Once the ground is worked, it takes a little more energy to move across it. 

The Man in Charge was shocked.  He had a long day at the office, and when he called at 8:30 to say that he was on his way home, he couldn't believe that we were done.



There will be very few of you that understand why I did such a thing. 

Watch the movie Food, Inc.

I want some good grazing ground, and then I want a couple of cows.

No comments:

Post a Comment