Monday, November 25, 2013

What do we do now?

If you've followed along, you know that last week was a real winner.  The only thing in life that we are equally guaranteed is death.  Just the facts.  Now what do we do?  We lost a friend.  We celebrated his life.  We buried him.  Then, we all went home.

The preacher said something that really stuck with me.  He said that we all have admirable qualities.  Those qualities draw people to us.  Once we lose a friend, we shouldn't bury those qualities that we admired.  They should live on in our lives.  We should adopt the things we appreciated.

Simple enough.

So, again...What now?

We get up.  We put on our big kid panties, and we get on with life.  It sounds cold.  It sounds hard, but it is what we do.  It is going to be hard.  Some days are going to be harder than others.  Then, one day we get up and it's not hard.  That doesn't mean that we miss someone less.  It just means that we learn to handle it better.

I got busy today doing just that.  I ran my errands.  I did my shopping for Thanksgiving dinner.  I put my coveralls on and played outside in the cold.  The horses are going stall-crazy.  The chickens are hanging in there, and the cat is acting like a crack addict.

He was all over the barn earlier.

This is the week that we are going to be thankful, and I am thankful for you!

1 comment:

  1. Sorry about your tough time last week! Hopefully your Thanksgiving will give you the needed time to reflect and recoup.

    ReplyDelete