Thursday, November 7, 2013

An Early Start to a Long Day...

Today's challenge sort of makes me laugh.  The question is:

If you had to switch your first name, what name would you choose and why?

It may help if you knew my first name.

Candi

Yes, you read me. 

No, it's not Candice. 

Not Cindy

Not Sandy.

Candi

You could say that I have had a love/hate relationship with my name.  Only sometimes, but when the issue has come up, it has been a struggle.

All through elementary school - jokes about candy bars, lollipops, and tootsie rolls.

Junior High - Pretty much the same.

High School - a little more interesting. 

I went through a chunk of High School being called Snickers.



Don't ask.

Let's just face the facts here.  The chicks in the movies with my name - Prostitutes or Topless Dancers!

I would like tell you that things matured as I got older, but that was not always the case. 

Boys will be boys! 

I did find a way to make it benefit me when it came to work.  It was usually pretty easy to make a cold call and get an appointment.  People were just curious.

Funny Story...

I made a cold call to a company, and when I was put in touch with the buyer, I said,

"Hi.  This is Candi, from (blah, blah, blah).  How are you today?"

She said, "Hey Candi.  This is Cookie."

We both cracked up.  She ended up being one of my favorite customers until I got out of the industry.

Just in case you are wondering...I worked in the Data and Telecom industry.  I sold Fiber Optic cabling to distributors and installation companies.  It was grand, let me tell you.

These days, I don't so much mind my name.  No one gets it right, but I think that is because they are scared of what they think they are hearing.  I actually was given this name by my older brother.  He is my favorite brother, by the way.  If I am correct, he had a choice between three names:

Ruth (maternal grandmother)
Laura (paternal grandmother)
Candy (chick on 'Here come the brides' TV show)

You have to understand, he was eleven.  I am not quite sure why the responsibility was given to him, but he had two sisters already.  I am certain he was hoping for a brother.  I don't know if he was disappointed when I arrived, but I feel like he treated me like a brother for a long time. 

Did I mention he is my favorite brother?

If I had to change it, I wouldn't know what to do.  I have spent a lot of time wanting to change it over the years, but I have also spent a lot of time loving it over the years.  It has just been such a thing for me.  If you held a gun to my head, and made me change it...

I would probably change it to Candice.

And, you could call me Candi.

No comments:

Post a Comment