Friday, October 4, 2013


I have been working...more to come later.

Not sure if it is clear in this shot, but if you look close, there is some redness and swelling.  I am adding to this post about three hours later and there is more swelling and a red ring around the swelling.  Not really sure what that means, but I do know that I am current on my tetanus shot.  I believe I got my booster in August.  I also know that the last thing a friend of mine said to me before I started working my bees today...
Don't get stung.
Thanks, Hook!
You jinxed me.
The stranger thing...I have been stung several times over the last couple of years, but this little brat really stung the crap out of me.  It was a vicious and unnecessary attack.  I was working without my gloves.  This is not totally unusual and I did have them handy.  I had actually finished working through this hive and my bees were nice and calm.  I had been moving slowly and had made my way through the entire box.  If at any time they had seemed upset, I would have put my gloves on.  No warnings.  I'm not sure what got her going, but she came across the box and got me.
There may have been some cussing.
The lucky thing about not having a glove on, I was able to remove the stinger very quickly.  I then may have cussed some more and I did put my gloves on right away.  Then I definitely cussed some more.  I can hear some of you now.  You are wondering why I would work my bees without gloves.  It really is not that bad, and it is a lot easier to move through the hive.  My gloves are worn and stiff and they can get sticky. 
Sticky gloves - not good.
After the day I have had, this really is par for the course.  I won't bore you with all the details, but I found myself stuck between a rock and a hard place.  Then I found out that the rock and the hard place knew it was a sticky situation long before I did.  I would say that I let it get to me the longer I thought about it.  Then, I ate three donuts and took a nap.  Then, I followed that with an iced coffee with milk.  Then, I followed that with a decent dinner, but I topped it off with two wheat rolls and honey butter.
I managed to turn the Whole30 into the Whole3.
Good thing I bounce right back up when I get knocked down.  I will start again tomorrow.
Since I am confessing - I am still on day 7 for the butt challenge.
It may not seem like much, but it was either eat donuts or drink beer and smoke cigars. 
Come on Cold Front!

No comments:

Post a Comment