Monday, November 21, 2011

What do you do on a Monday night?

I have been dragging a little lately.  I have had a few health issues.  Nothing major, but they have not helped my productivity.  I have also been very busy with numerous projects.  This also has not helped. 

I have tried to wrap up all of my gardening chores, working to get things winter ready. 
I have been cleaning and trashing my garage, over and over. 
I have tried to tackle some of the chores in my home that were neglected over the summer months. 
I have made a trip out of town to lend a hand to someone very dear to me.
I also managed to squeeze in a trip to Will Rogers Coliseum today.

After all of this, I thought I should go to town to do the shopping for our Thanksgiving Dinner.  My Full-Timer and I did a little shopping first, then headed to the grocery store.  We managed to find all of the things on our list, and made our way to the check out.  We were surprised when we were standing in line and we heard thunder.  We grabbed our shopping cart, loaded with bags, and ran for the door.  It was pouring down rain.  By the time we got our things loaded in the truck, we were soaked.  The more interesting thing... not one person standing in front of that store trying to decide their best plan of action, uttered a single complaint. 

It was raining! 



After getting home, taking care of the things we needed to do, I was tired.  Really tired.  All I wanted to do was go to the barns, do my chores, and head to bed.  I still had a few things to do in the kitchen, and the more I thought about how tired I was, the more I wanted my Full-Timer to do the barn rounds.  I asked her if she would, and of course she agreed, but she was trying to finish some home-work first.


It didn't take me as long as I thought to wrap up my things, so, I just decided to go to the barns myself.  While it was very sweet of her to say she would go, I know that her work load isn't a piece of cake either.
I get to the horse barn, and find my cat going absolutely bonkers.  His eyes get huge and dilated, and he hides behind things and jumps out at you.  Anything he can do to get you to play with him.  Most days, I would give him some undivided attention, but not today.  I didn't want to.  I was too tired.  You have to know how hard it is to ignore him when he jumps out from behind you and grabs onto your pants leg, swinging back and forth.  You can't help but laugh.  Especially if you are wearing sweat pants, and your cat is yanking them down.

Crazy cat!

I decide to go collect eggs first, this would at least give the cat a chance to run around outside before I lock him back up in the horse barn for the night.  Swinging from my pants leg and swinging from one of my horses tails...two very different things.  He seriously needed to blow off steam.  I turn the lights on at the back of the barn, and head out the door. 

I don't know any other way to tell you the last events of my day, other than to just go step-by-step.  So, that is what I am going to do.

I open the outside door to the hay barn.
I step inside, but close the door behind me.
It is dark in the hay barn.
I reach around until I find the extension cord for the baby chicks heat lamp.
I fumble around in the dark until I get the cord plugged in.
I turn to see the babies, Izzy, and the Hooligans all doing well.
I walk the three steps or so to the door of the coop.
I notice a hole dug under the door.
I open the door, and step inside.
I walk to the right, to the wall, to plug in the big girls heat lamp.
Plugging this light in takes some acrobatic moves because the outlet is up high.
As I am climbing up to plug in the light, I talk to my chickens.
"Are you girls hanging out with someone in here?"
The light comes on.
I step down and turn at the same time, and catch a glimpse of something.
As I fully turn, I realize I am in my chicken coop with a skunk.
He is closer to the door than I am.
I did not scream.
I pressed myself into the corner.
I literally made myself as small as possible.
He sort of moved around in circles.
I begged him through mental telepathy to not get mad.
Please, do not get mad?
He ran along the wall, away from me, looking for a way out.
I took advantage of my opportunity, and ran out of the coop.
I opened the outside door.
I ran to the horse barn.
I turned out the lights, and waited.
He finally ran out.

After coming inside and telling my Full-Timer,

"You are so very, welcome!"

I explained to her, and the Man in Charge, what had just happened.  The Man in Charge looked at me, and very calmly said,

"Well, I am glad to see that you two didn't get into a fight."

I then went back outside and set the trap.  It is inside the hay barn, loaded with cat food, with a rope tied to it.  I will let you know what I find. 

I really hope he doesn't come back tonight. 

My heart has finally stopped pounding.

1 comment:

  1. We had a very tame Thanksgiving. Just our small little group of 46 10 of our crew were with their other family ...really. Not one skunk in the bunch though. So funny I see a book tour or maybe a made for TV movie in your future.
    Thanks I needed the laugh!