Sunday, April 24, 2011

A Peak at Summer

I told you about our new strawberry plants that flew across the yard recently in our wind storm.

I also told you that I would post a picture of them.

They are not flying across the yard.


This is not going to be enough berries to share or sell, but they should be just enough to encourage a little help in building a Berry Patch. 

Sometimes, you see, there is a method to my madness. 

Also, I would like to encourage anyone to have a little strawberry in their world.  Grow some on a porch or patio.  Don't think you can remember to water them?  Set your electronic device to remind you to check them daily.  I know that you at least have a computer, right?

These plants may not be big, but they are mighty.  Take a look at the strawberries in the making.


Did you know that strawberries are the only fruit that have their seeds on the outside?


These are two different varieties of strawberries, but both are ever-bearing varieties.  That means that I will get a continuous crop of fruit all season.  There are also June-bearing varieties that produce all of their crop at once.  I think the latter is the one that gives the larger berries, but there is a price for that because after your one crop, that is all she wrote.  The ever-bearing should be smaller, but with a more intense, sweet taste.

I will let you know.

Back to surveying the horizon for a new Berry Patch.

1 comment: