Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Not Your Typical Squash

I love to plant unusual things.  I like to try different varieties.  I did a lot of that this past spring.

Have you ever seen a "patty-pan" squash?  I think they are usually white or a greenish white color.  I haven't seen them or heard of them, but I did have a pack of Golden Scallopini Squash seeds.  Sometimes I think I should study up on things in a little more detail, but that takes all of the surprise out of it.  It is like getting an unexpected gift, for no reason at all, from a very dear friend.






These plants took off.  I really had no idea what I was getting into, and I seriously underestimated their size.  They were overcrowded and along with the heat and a few unwanted squash bugs, their production was cut short.

Easily you could cook these anyway that you would cook yellow crookneck squash.  I have cooked this squash stuffed with a cheese and sausage and baked them.  I thought they were wonderful.  I am alone in my love for squash though.  My family was not interested, but I didn't mind at all.  I shared some with friends, and now they are done.

I will plant these again next year and I will try some of the squash blossom recipes on http://www.bellalimento.com/

Now to decide what will go in their place...

No comments:

Post a Comment