Sunday, August 8, 2010

Some Like It Hot!

I did mention Pepper and Okra plants.  The Peppers were all transplants that I bought, and the Okra were transplants that I grew. 

I have to admit that I have never grown Okra before.  I am not really a fan of Okra unless it is fried, and well, I'm not a fan of having to fry things, and it can't be very good for you that way.  I grew it anyway for a dear friend of mine, and I am definitely intrigued.




A very interesting plant.  It has beautiful blooms.  I have even tried a piece raw - straight off the plant.  This was a suggestion from my Mother-In-Law.  She said she loves to eat it that way, so I tried it.  Not bad for a piece or two, but that's my limit.

The Pepper plants have done pretty well, and are still producing.  We had Serrano and Ancho Peppers.



The Ancho Pepper seems to me to be somewhere in between a Bell Pepper and a Jalapeno Pepper in flavor.  I have only seen it in stores dried.  I don't have a dehydrator yet, but I am working on that one.


The Serrano Peppers have been great.  We have used them in a lot of recipes.  We like a little heat here in Texas.  We have them sliced fresh in a brine in the fridge.  We have also used them to make our Green Sauce.  These plants are still producing, and I believe we still have a lot of peppers on the way.

No comments:

Post a Comment