Sunday, February 9, 2014

New week ahead.

It's Sunday night.  I have goofed off most of the day.  I have spent time with family.  I have watched television.  I have looked up recipes online.  You know, trying to get some ideas for the days ahead.  I was hoping to have a warmer week, and it looks like it will happen about mid-way.  I saw a glimpse of upper 60's on the way!

Woo Hoo!

I am totally down with that.  I have bees to feed.  I have things in the garage to accomplish.  I need it to at least be bearable out there.  Of course, with the good news, comes the bad.  We have a chance of freezing precipitation first.  It could be a very slick commute for most on Monday.  Then, I saw a chance of some freezing precipitation on Tuesday.  I'm trying not to let it get me down.

I can do this.

It is almost 11:00, and I still have to make one more trip outside.  Part of me wants to grab my notebook and start making a list.

I love lists.

I love crossing things off a list.

Just like this.

Somehow, at some point in my life, crossing things off the list has become my pat on the back.  My way to go.  My job well done.  

Is that weird?

Even if it is, it's the truth.  It works the other way as well.  Faced with a list, and unable to cross a single item off the list, makes me feel like a failure.  An entire day without a single success.  A reason to sit myself down, and have a serious talk with myself.  You know, one of those,

Seriously? 

This is what you have to offer?

You can do better than this.

It reminds me of the talks I used to have with my girls.  We were big on The Family Meeting.

They are rolling their eyes right now.

This is where we would all gather.  We would talk about our goals as a family.  We would talk about our strengths and our weaknesses.  Then, we would get the pep talk of things that could be better, and the final talk regarding Responsibility/Authority.

They are really rolling their eyes now.

You see, Responsibility/Authority simply means that the more responsibility you take over your own life, the more authority you have over your own life.

  • For little children, it could be as simple as the more responsibility you take in picking up your toys without being told will give you more authority to play outside a little longer.  
  • Older kids, it could be as simple as taking over the responsibility of getting your homework done will give you more authority over how much time you get to spend with your friends.  
  • Even older than that, the more responsibility you take over your college career, the more authority you will have over your financial situation.
I was a really mean mom.  They understood that the less responsibility they shouldered, the more responsibility I took over.  If I had to be responsible, the 'No's' were a lot more frequent.

I hope they realize that it is the same even now.  I just have the same discussion with myself and my list.  The more responsibility I take in my own life, the more authority I have to do the things I want to do.  Like go to my Bee meeting tomorrow night.  I am not sure if the weather is going to hold up.  If it does, I want to be there.

I'm going to make that list.  
I am going to hit the ground running tomorrow.  
Hopefully I won't be slipping and sliding on the ice.  

I need some adult conversation...
with an actual person...
not one of my animals.

Here is a shot of some hives.  These boxes are full of some girls making their own lists.  Lists that will include being very active by mid-week.  I need to be ready for them.


2 comments:

  1. Hope you get to go to the bee meeting. Then selfishly, maybe we can talk on the return trip!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE lists!

    Seems to me we are building quite a list of things we have in common ;)

    ReplyDelete