Thursday, September 5, 2013

Challenge Day #5

Mohandas Gandhi said, "The best way to find yourself is to lose yourself in the service of others." What have you discovered about yourself by volunteering?

I would not say that I contemplate quotes from Gandhi in my day-to-day life.  I could go as far as to say that I have never contemplated quotes from Gandhi, or anyone else for that matter. 

Again, not wired that way. 

The only thing I would quote would be the Bible, and I don't do that enough. 

In considering what I would write for the day, I did make a point to read a few Gandhi quotes.  You have to realize, there are only so many things that are allowed to reside in my brain at one time.  If it is something that is not used, it gets kicked to the curb.  So, after a brief refresher course, I can say I agree with some, and disagree with others.  For instance,

I like your Christ, I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ.
 
I can understand this statement.  There are a lot of non-Christian Christians running around.  I don't really agree with lumping everyone together, but I get the sentiment.
 
I could also look at it from another perspective. 
 
We will never be Christ. 
 
That is why His Grace is so important.
 
We will never deserve it!
 
I could continue to go through the list of Gandhi quotes, but that is not why we all gathered here today.  I just need you to understand that I don't spend my time contemplating philosophy, studying world leaders, or trying to emulate their lives.  You can also add to that list the fact that I don't like to read or write poetry.  There are people that are very near and dear to me that do.  I am not one of them.  That fact may or may not be related to the topic of the day.  I just thought I would throw it in there.
 
I am just a Plain Jane sort of chick.  I tend to be direct.  No foo-foo.  To some that may seem abrasive.  The benefits of enduring the harshness, you will always know where I stand, and if you ask me, you will know what I think. 
 
Gandhi and I would have agreed that the truth is the truth.  The thing about the truth - we all have different perspectives.  People are what they are conditioned to be.  People are what they are exposed to.  People are different.  I am okay with that.  I can respectfully agree to disagree, but if you want to discuss it - know that I won't just say what you want to hear.
 
Gandhi and I would not have agreed on the Passive Resistance thing.  Re-Read the post from yesterday...outspoken and confrontational, remember?  Having said that, I didn't live his life.  I didn't live in his time.  I didn't follow his beliefs, and I could have never been a vegetarian.
 
Factoid:  Before I get a ton of hateful emails regarding vegetarianism, please know that the Man in Charge was a  - hard working, dog loving, team roping, vegetarian, dancing fool - when we met and married. 
 
Again, I can respectfully agree to disagree.  I ate meat.  He didn't.
 
The main point is, I have accepted this blogging challenge.  So, in the spirit of the game, I'll play.
 
I agree with the quote above.  If you truly come at volunteering with a spirit of giving, you will be given so much in return.  I have discussed that. 
 
What have I discovered about myself? 
 
I have discovered that in the thick of things, amazing things happen.  I am talking about crunch time. 
 
  • coming down to the wire
  • it's 3:00 am and you have fruit to cut up for breakfast at 5:00
  • it's 2:00 in the morning and you have to get the center pieces finished and loaded
  • you have thirty minutes to put the finishing touches on auction items and you don't like   something, so everything comes to a halt until you get it right even if it takes two extra hours
  • the week before Lone Star Park and the local youth group needs help with a fund-raiser so you agree to spend a day tracking down snow-cone syrups and painting a sign
and the list goes on and on.
 
I also have the ability to drag several people down those same roads with me.  All the while they are screaming, "This will never work!  We don't have time!" 
 
excuse me?
 
was that a challenge?
 
I can't take credit for making those things happen.  I alone am nothing.  The Lord alone is responsible for anything good in my life.  He is also responsible for turning the bad into good.  It's all good with Him.  I take zero credit.  So, since we are playing, I thought I would leave you with a few quotes.
 
Until next time... 
 
 I can do everything through him who gives me strength.
Phil 4:13
 
Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous. Do not be terrified; do not be discouraged, for the LORD your God will be with you wherever you go.”
Josh 1:19


A favorite of my Dad's...

And whatever you do, do it heartily, as to the Lord and not to men
Col 3:23

Although he condensed it to, "Do what you do, do it well."

and a very important one...

But let your ‘Yes’ be ‘Yes,’ and your ‘No,’ ‘No.’ For whatever is more than these is from the evil one.
Matt 5:37

If I tell you I'm going to do something, I will.

No comments:

Post a Comment