Monday, June 11, 2012

Garden Photos

I managed to get a few shots of the garden on my way out the other morning, but still haven't rounded the girls up for their photo shoot.  I prefer early morning or evening light, and it just hasn't happened yet.  I have been a little under the weather these past few days, and that hasn't helped anything either. 

Here we go.


This is not a great shot, but I wanted to show you that I am trying something a little different for those indeterminate tomatoes that can get crazy and out of hand in a small cage.  Normally you would construct this with bamboo, but bamboo is expensive.  I found galvanized tubing at the local home improvement store for cheap, and it comes in ten foot lengths.  I will keep you posted on how this works, but so far so good.  I have the plants pruned up to grow tall not out, and they are attached to the twine.  If it continues on this course I will work on a more aesthetically pleasing variation, and something a little more for the long haul.  It would be nice if it was something that could be easily disassembled for winter storage.


This is one of the varieties growing on my new contraption.  It is a Green Zebra.  Once ripened the lighter areas will turn yellow, and look like stripes.  I have only had one ripen so far.  No pictures to share.  I ate it right there.  It was pretty good.  A little acidic, but definitely different.



I also have two varieties of small, grape-size tomatoes.  Pruning them to grow up, encourages them to grow in clusters like this.  I haven't harvested large quantities of these either.  So far just eating them as I see them.



I did also plant several determinate varieties, mostly Roma, and they are really shocking me.  This plant is small, but look what it's growing?

There are also several varieties of cucumbers.  Note the grasshopper damage on this first picture.  They are really annoying, but they must not like them all because the others look okay.



There are also several varieties of peppers, including the cayenne below, notice all the blooms about to open, and this thing is tiny.

There are several Bell Peppers, including a purple variety, plus jalapenos.  This is pretty much it for the veggies so far.  Nothing that we could live on, but it will help spice things up a bit.  I am planning for fall now. 

I have more photos coming of the herb garden, and of course the girls.

No comments:

Post a Comment