Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Some helpful hints

You have gotten warmer, colder, warm, hot, cold, feezing, etc.

I also may have misled you on the 1st day.

Sorry.

Day One:
This guy is not exotic, other than he looks a little freaky.  I thought that he was a Silver Duckwing, but I had some doubts so I sent a picture to the hatchery and asked their advice.  In a matter of minutes, she replied back.  I will make this one a little easier now.  He is a combination of two breeds.  You hear them called by one or the other, and in some cases the names are run together as one word.  The breed is known for laying "Easter eggs."

Day Two:
The popular guess is a Rhode Island Red.  This breed originated with the Rhode Island Red, but has been selectively bred into another "North Eastern" breed.

Day Three:
This is a Barred Rock - already answered correctly.  A little history for your amusement, it is one of the all-time popular favorites in this country.  Developed in New England in the early 1800's by crossing Dominiques and Black Javas.  It is the ideal American chicken and a prolific layer of brown eggs.

So, Day Three is out of the running.

Day Four:
I also sent this picture to the hatchery, and while I thought she looked more like one breed, the fact that her legs were a different color meant that she was another. 

To be clear, the tail looked one way for me, but the legs meant that it was the other. 

Does that help any?

The next breed will be up on Wednesday evening.  Keep up the good work.

No comments:

Post a Comment